Q:What are your "contact with fairies" protocols? Are your prepared in the case of fairy encounters?
You can always be more prepared, of course.
And it depends on which type of fairies, but in cases of Fairy Emergency, my general policy is thus:
- Be polite, but not thankful; generally, they don’t like that.
- Don’t step on any toadstools or in any fairy rings and respect the nature around you.
- Don’t take anything of theirs, not even a bramble on your clothing or a leaf in your hair.
- Leave something of yours (that is of value) for them.
- If lost, turn shirt inside out and put it on backwards to find your way again.
- If you have anything edible, offer it or leave it behind.
- Do NOT eat/drink anything offered, but decline with a simple “I couldn’t.” This is polite but doesn’t insist that other food is better/makes you fuller/all you’ll eat.
- Don’t make any wagers, bets, or play any games. Especially don’t answer riddles.
- Never, ever dance.
- If they do something nice for you, leave out milk and a candle for three nights — either in the place they were last seen (at day break) or for the next three New Moons in a north facing window.
- Don’t ever mention the encounter to anyone.
There are a few tips I’m missing, but it wouldn’t be polite to mention them.
I don’t know how I’m in a place in my life where I could not only agree to but confirm most of these steps.
we’re signees! here’s a treat!
Alvvays is a pretty terrific band making a name for themselves around here, Molly and Kerri hail from my own shores so of course everyone is proud as peacocks about it. Including me of course! But the reviews are great across the board, and anyway, the proof is in the pudding.
Source: SoundCloud / Alvvays
I think this is necessary to post. I see a lot of people “saving” bunnies.
"*Bunnies are one of the most frequently “kidnapped” mammal species.
*Mothers dig a very shallow nest in the ground that is easily uncovered when mowing or raking the yard. If you find a rabbit nest-leave it alone!!
*Mother rabbits only return to the nest two or three times a day, usually before dawn and right after dusk.
*To determine if they are orphaned, either place a string across the nest in a tic-tac-toe shape or circle the nest with flour. Check the nest the next day. If the string or flour is disturbed, the mother has returned. If not, take the bunnies to a rehabilitator.
* A bunny that is bright eyed and 4-5 inches long is fully independent and does NOT need to be rescued!
*If you find a bunny that does need to be rescued, put it in a dark, quiet location. Bunnies are a prey species and while they may look calm, they are actually very, very scared!”
Never knew this, keeping this for reference
As a student of Veterinary Medicine I can completely confirm this! Do NOT take them out of their nest unless you’re 100% sure that the mother did not come back for them after at least one day!
HeroesCon 2014 sketch
I love her all golden armor look so, so much. Basically threw in the eagle helmet as a nod to it. Reflective finishes are becoming really fun and challenging to do. :)
Uhm….can I commission her in her golden armor? I would just…die.